Saturday, August 13, 2005

Stephanie's Six Course Dinner

It's been a week since Stephanie decided to prepare a six-course feast for us. I'm still not sure what inspired it, but I hope the inspiration strikes more often. I was forbidden from entering the kitchen after 2 o'clock until the end of dinner at 9:00 (at which time I was allowed to enter and do the dishes).

We began with oysters fried in two fashions, in flour and in cornmeal, with a red pepper remoulade. This is the second time that Stephanie has fried oysters, and they were wonderful once again. I was less pleased with the Il Prosecco NV we had with it. I remember it being brighter and more flavorful. This bottle was not as interestingas I recall.

Next we had ceasar salad in crouton collars. This was a gorgeous presentation, with the large romaine leaves standing straight up from a hollowed out slice of toasted baguette. Stephanie made this one especially for me, knowing how much I enjoy real ceasar salads with plenty of good anchovie flavor.

Stephanie then prepared a corn soup with lime, cilantro, and avocado. I'm still not sure how she did it, but this turned out to be one of the best soups I've ever had - worthy of Thomas Keller. The flavor was so rich without any cream. The bottle of Henry Pelle Pouilly-Fume 2003 that we chose to accompany it failed to live up to the soup, however. In the hot 2003 vintage, Pelle did not tame the heat - the wine was flabby, even sweet, with not mid-palate or finish.

Our entree was a phenomenal halibut fillet baked in parchment. The fish was perfectly cooked, and its sweetness was accentuated by a bottle of Cakebread Chardonnay Napa Valley 2003. A classic Napa chard, but in this case, that wasn't a bad thing. The oak was modest, nicely playing with the ripe fruit and mild acidity. The Cakebread was also a great wine with the corn soup.

Unfortunately, we didn't have any wine left for the final two courses - basil vanilla ice cream and goat cheese with truffle honey. The latter would have been expecially nice was a Quartes de Charmes. I hope Stephanie decides to do this again soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you the most!